Houston News

 

Swimmers Infected with Flesh-Eating Bacteria

Swimmers Infected with Flesh-Eating Bacteria

One person has died and three other swimmers are infected with flesh-eating bacteria found in the Gulf waters off several states, including Texas.  The swimmers got sick in Louisiana.

 

 

The bacteria, known as Vibrio vulnificus, can enter the body either through the ingestion of raw shellfish or through an open wound.

 

Those with normal immune systems can usually fight off the disease; but others – most notably the young and the elderly – are more susceptible to the bacteria, which can be fatal.

 

More Articles